From bake sales to sponsored silences, and marathons running to comedy nights, there are so many ways that you can start raising vital funds for City of Sanctuary UK.
Read on to get inspired, or think about the box and come up with your own fundraising activities.
Go the extra mile
- Running. Whether you’re building up to your first 10k, or taking on a full marathon, every penny you raise will help us to build welcoming and compassionate communities
- Cycling. Hop on your bike, burn some rubber and help us provide empowering opportunities to people who have fled war and persecution
- Swimming. Are you tackling a cold water swim or hoping to beat your personal best in the pool? Ask your friends to chip into your fundraiser and help us to make welcome widespread.
Joseph ran the Derby 10k and raised hundreds of pounds to support us in our work. As a trustee for City of Sanctuary UK, Joseph knew how vitally important our work was and wanted to do everything he could to support it. You rock, Joseph!
Could you take part in your local 5k or 10k race?
Roll up your sleeves
- Supper club. Cook food that reminds you of hope and home and ask your friends, family and neighbours to chip into support our work.
- Music gig. Put your musical talents to good use and use ticket sales to raise funds to support people seeking sanctuary!
- Bake sales. No one can resist a slice. And the cherry on the cake is that every penny you raise will ensure more people seeking sanctuary are met with a warm welcome.
- Comedy show. The UK asylum system is no joke. Help us to fight government hostility by raising funds through ticket sales for a comedy night.
- Clothing swap. Waste not want not. Charge a small entrance fee, reduce clothing waste, get a funky new wardrobe and support our work – what’s not to love?
- 24 hour challenge. Non-stop boardgaming or dancing. What could you do for a whole day and night in order to raise funds?
- Sponsored silence. Shhh! Get sponsored to keep shtum – a harder challenge for some than for others…
- Got a public facing window? Put a QR code in your shop/home window with a little bit of information about our work, this will allow people to scan and donate easily. Contact [email protected] for help with this!
Top tip! Wear your City of Sanctuary t-shirt to show your solidarity with people who have been forced to flee. Click here to explore our merchandise collection.
This primary school in Suffolk made beautiful illustrated packets and sold sunflower seeds in order to support our work with schools. They sold them at their summer fete and even reached out to their local Lush store to sell them there.
Could your class or workplace run a seed or cake sale?
Celebrate a special day
- Birthdays. You can quickly and easily set up a birthday fundraiser for us on Facebook.
- Baby showers. Hold a Sanctuary baby shower and ensure families just like yours are given the welcome they deserve.
- Weddings. Don’t need another toaster? Ask your guests to donate to us instead!
Malka has written two books of poetry and has chosen to donate her royalties to City of Sanctuary UK. Malka is now one of our fantastic lived experience Sanctuary Ambassadors, using her talent, pain and anger to campaign for a fairer and kinder asylum system.
Could you donate a percentage of profits from your book or art project?
Look back with love
- Include City of Sanctuary UK in your will. We will ensure that your incredible generosity changes lives for the better.
- Collect in memory. Many families collect donations in memory at a loved one’s funeral or celebration of life as a special way of remembering them.