City of Sanctuary UK is a membership organisation.
We have three different Membership options –
- Organisational Membership
- Individual Membership
- And/or Network Membership
We are encouraging all City of Sanctuary groups to sign up as Network Members and as Organisational Members.
Individual and Organisational Members are able to vote at the City of Sanctuary UK AGM.
We are still accepting membership registrations ahead of the 2020 AGM. Please see this page for the notice and papers for this event.
Membership must be approved by the trustees of City of Sanctuary UK.
Whilst we are not introducing a charge we are asking organisations and individuals to consider making a voluntary contribution in solidarity which will help with the longer term sustainability of the organisation.
In the event that the organisation is wound up, each member may be liable to contribute to any debts that the charity has, up to a maximum of £1.
Become an Individual Member
Any individual aged over 18 can become a member if they share the vision of City of Sanctuary UK.
Become an Organisational Member
An organisation can become an Organisational Member if it shares the vision of City of Sanctuary UK.
The organisation will need to nominate a representative who will vote on their behalf.
If your organisation is not constituted, you can nominate one person to represent you who will be an Individual Member.
Network Membership is open to any City of Sanctuary group or Stream.
At present there is no charge for the network member benefits, although a donation, however small, demonstrates an appreciation of the benefits received as a Network Member and contributes to the support we can offer.
Joining as a Network Member
- A local group will have endorsed our Charter and have incorporated and adopted our network principles and Theory of Change. They will have also agreed to adopt our values.
- A group will have committed to working towards our vision of welcome across a specific place/area (which could be a City, Town, Borough or village).
- A group will take a whole area approach to working towards our vision of welcome in a way which aligns with our network principles and values. There can be only one group in a specific geographical area and we would not expect a group to work on a single issue.
- City of Sanctuary groups will go beyond what they themselves can do to help people seeking sanctuary. They act as a rallying cry to other organisations and individuals in an area to offer sanctuary and welcome.
- A group does not have to take on a specific structure and there are lots of different ways to set up a group. Some groups will have paid workers and a formal budget, whereas others are entirely voluntary. Some are networks made up of other organisations, whereas some are registered charities/CIO’s.
- A group will agree not to bring the City of Sanctuary name into disrepute and to abide by the City of Sanctuary values in all that they do.
- A group will complete an annual membership form updating all their details (and keep their details updated throughout the year).
- A group will complete the CoS UK annual survey to update on activities and evaluate the services provided.
- All groups who have a website/email address must abide by the City of Sanctuary website agreement
- A stream will have endorsed our Charter and have incorporated and adopted our network principles. They will have also agreed to abide by our values.
- A stream will take a sector/profession/sphere wide approach to working towards our vision of welcome.
- A stream does not have to take on a specific structure and there are lots of different ways to set up a stream.
- A stream will agree not to bring the City of Sanctuary name into disrepute and to abide by the City of Sanctuary values in all that they do.
- A stream must complete an annual membership form updating all their details.
Note: The preferred option is for a Stream of Sanctuary (a collective group of individuals or organisations who are taking a sector/profession/sphere wide approach to working towards our vision of welcome e.g. Yorkshire and Humberside Maternity Stream) to be a member/affiliated with their local City of Sanctuary group and UK level steering group. However, where this is not possible if there is no local group or UK level steering group a Stream of Sanctuary can apply directly to be part of the City of Sanctuary network. They will however be willing to work towards the aim of setting up a UK level Steering group and be open to affiliating to a local group should one be set up.
Individual awarded organisations are not a Stream but are encouraged to become a Supporting Organisation and sign up to our newsletter (they are part of the movement but not entitled to group network benefits e.g. email/website etc). We encourage individual awarded organisations to affiliate to their local group and to connect with the UK level steering group (if there is one). However where this is not possible a Stream of Sanctuary can apply directly to be part of the City of Sanctuary network.
- We can create a website and set up email addresses for a group/stream. Our Website Support Officer can provide tools and training to help groups to do this so they do not need any experience. We will provide security, maintenance and and hosting costs for group websites.
- Our Network Coordinators can provide groups/streams with advice and support on a wide range of issues from setting up your group to working with local authorities or Sanctuary Awards.
- We facilitate regional conferences, meetings, training and national events (which are usually free and we are sometimes able to provide travel bursaries)
- We provide access to wide range of relevant resources, guidance and information on good practice on the website (and are able to provide printed materials to groups at a very low cost or sometimes no cost at all)
- You will receive regular email updates that contain news and information from across the refugee sector.
- You will receive our monthly Newsletter (please note that the newsletter is available to anyone who wishes to subscribe and we encourage groups to forward to their own membership).
Any organisation can become a supporter of City of Sanctuary UK by signing our Organisation pledge. This can be in addition to or instead of signing up as a Voting Member. All organisations applying for a Sanctuary Award are requested to sign up as a Supporting Organisation. We would expect City of Sanctuary groups and Streams to sign up as Network Members rather than Supporting Organisations.
We ask that Supporting Organisations consider making a donation to City of Sanctuary UK to reflect their solidarity with our vision.
|Organisations with income under £5000||Free|
|Organisations with income £5,000 to £100,000||£50|
|Organisations with income £100,000 to £200,000||£100|
|Organisations with income £200,000 to £500,000||£150|
|Organisations with income over £500,000||£250|
|Individual member (waged)||£30|
|Individual member (unwaged)||Free|