We all have a part to play in building a more welcoming, inclusive and compassionate society. To celebrate the organisations who go above and beyond to welcome people seeking sanctuary, we have our Sanctuary Award programme.
We accept applications for Sanctuary Awards from the following institutions: Universities, Further Education Colleges, Schools, Local Authorities, Faith Institutions, Libraries and Arts Organisations. We take a whole-institution approach so do not offer sanctuary awards to smaller entities or departments within one of these larger entities. If you have any questions, please contact the programme leads.
Appraised by a panel including someone with lived experience of seeking sanctuary, and an expert in the field, this formal awards process recognises and rewards good practice and progress within a sector, whilst encouraging other organisations to do the same. All sanctuary awards are valid for three years after which point an institution will need to undergo a re-accreditation process.
For all awards, applicants must demonstrate that they have done the following:
- Learn: find out what it means to be seeking sanctuary; and be actively involved in awareness raising.
- Embed: take positive action to make welcome and inclusion part of the values of your organisation or community, to support people who are seeking asylum and people who are refugees, and to include them in your activities.
- Share your vision and achievements: let others know about the positive contribution of people seeking sanctuary make to our society and the benefits of a welcoming culture to everyone.
The process is underpinned by our values and broader principles, as outlined in the City of Sanctuary Charter.
Sanctuary Awards have been developed in conjunction with schools, universities, arts organisations and others.
Streams of Sanctuary
We had resources and websites for the increasing number of Streams of Sanctuary initiatives. Use the following links to access the relevant websites.
- Schools of Sanctuary
- Universities of Sanctuary
Guidance Notes for Applicants for the University of Sanctuary award
- Sanctuary in Arts
- Sanctuary in Health awards
- Sanctuary in Maternity Services awards
- Faith Groups of Sanctuary
- Gardens of Sanctuary
- Libraries of Sanctuary
- Shops of Sanctuary
- Local Authority Network
Please contact us: [email protected] if you need more information.
Please note: Awards are given by the City of Sanctuary UK organisation, the local City of Sanctuary group and partners in good faith and we cannot be held responsible for places of sanctuary who have been awarded but no longer subscribe to our values and principles.