City of Sanctuary Co-Chair for Board of Trustees
Volunteer Unpaid Role (reasonable expenses will be covered)
City of Sanctuary UK is seeking to appoint a Co-Chair of Trustees to work in partnership with a Co-Chair, Chief Officer and the Board of Trustees. We are at an exciting stage of development with our growing national network of cities, towns and villages of sanctuary, as well as streams of sanctuary such as schools, universities, libraries and others. We also know that we need to stand firm in our belief in the need for a welcoming society now more than ever.
We are seeking someone who has a proven passion and commitment to building a welcoming movement for people seeking sanctuary. We are looking for someone who is able to work collaboratively with the Co-Chair (who has excellent skills and experiencing, including lived experience of seeking sanctuary) and is able to develop an excellent/effective working relationship. The Co-Chairs will equally be responsible for providing leadership for the organisation and working with our management team towards achieving our mission and vision. Full job profile is below.
In particular we are looking for candidates who have experience of:
- Participation in the sanctuary movement, preferably through involvement in a City of Sanctuary local group or stream
- Experience and understanding of the refugee/migration sector and the current challenges faced
- Experience of working with refugees and asylum seekers and understanding of the key issues affecting them
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
- Proven experience of developing alliances and influencing stakeholders
We especially welcome applications from people with lived experience of the asylum system.
The new Co-Chairs appointments will run from 22nd September 2021 when our outgoing Chair will step down at our AGM. The board has agreed to appoint an existing board member into the other Co-Chair position. The Chief Officer, outgoing Chair and the Co-Chair in-waiting are keen to offer informal conversations if you are interested in this exciting opportunity. if your would like this, please contact [email protected]
Applications will then be reviewed by a panel of trustees and the successful applicants will be invited to an interview.