We are pleased to share our 2020 Review of City of Sanctuary UK. 2020 was a year of unprecedented challenges with multi-dimensional impact on our sector. The pandemic had no clear timeframe or predicted endgame. As we begin 2021 in another lockdown, we share our challenges and achievements from last year. Our response was guided by the following principles which we agreed as a team with support from trustees:
- Whilst it is the norm for us to ‘work from home’, our home and external environments have changed, we are now ‘At our home during a crisis trying to work’.
- Our (and our families) personal, physical, mental and emotional health is far more important than anything else right now.
- We must give ‘Sanctuary to Ourselves’ and not judge how we are coping based on how we see others coping.
- We must be kind to others and not judge how they are coping.
- The success of our organisation will not be measured the same way it was pre COVID-19.
Overall we developed a collective care approach which recognised our interdependence and the reciprocity of sharing responsibilities and creating sanctuary for ourselves and others. If we have one message for sanctuary supporters across the network it is to reflect the words of our co-founder Inderjit Bhogal
“Remember to take sanctuary for yourself.”
Please download Reflections 2020 or wait for it to open in your browser below: