In addition they are seeking people to work with them to share their stories and experiences including media opportunities. Case studies could include:
People currently in the system who want to work and feel that being unable to do so have affected them negatively
- Poverty and destitution
- Homelessness (or the threat of it)
- Mental health- including lack of self-confidence/not feeling valued
- Integration – unable to make friends, feel part of society, integrate in the labour market
People who have been granted refugee status after going through the asylum process
- Some may now be employed and can talk about how this has been positive for them/advantages of being able to work
- Others may be finding it difficult to get employment and can link this to be unable to work during their asylum claim
People who were resettled to the UK as refugees and were therefore able to work as soon as they arrived
- People who will hopefully be able to talk about how being able to work has been positive and helped them to integrate
Other stories to highlight –
- Someone who has been granted permission to work and their experience (challenges/opportunities) in finding employment
- Shared values – what’s it like not being able to provide for your family – Children not having the same opportunities, toys, experiences as their friends at school.
- Wasted skills and potential – can we show the vast array of skills, talents, professions of people seeking asylum? Show people who had successful careers before war tore their lives apart, how would it feel to lose everything and not have the chance to contribute to the country you’ve fled to – to be prevented from being part of society?
See below some interesting stories about people seeking asylum and work that might act as inspiration!
Lift the Ban will fully support people during the process, explain how their content would be used, and provide briefings ahead of media opportunities. They will also make sure that organisations are mentioned with every media opportunity. Furthermore, the coalition is setting up an Ambassador Network of experts by experience who are keen not only to share their story but to get more involved in the campaign. Being a part of the Network will provide people with opportunities to attend training sessions on skills such as campaigning, story-telling, media engagement and debating.
If you or someone you know might be interested to share their story and/or being part of the Network, please complete this form Lift the Ban Case Studies and send to Nisreen Bathish| Communications and Stories Officer Email: [email protected] flagging an interest in joining the Network if relevant.