Struggling with access to ICT equipment?
Here are some organisations that might be able to help:
(Please note, City of Sanctuary UK cannot provide any tech items)
- Solidaritech provide laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones to people seeking asylum and refugees.
- Hope for the Young have an emergency fund to help with digital access.
- Social Biz have a campaign for digital inclusion helping refugees.
- Scottish Refugee Council have collected donations of laptops, get in touch to see if they are distributing them.
- The government also has a scheme to provide digital devices and internet access to some disadvantaged children and young people in education up to age 19. Find out more here.
- 100% Digital Leeds provide equipment and training [Leeds only].
- West London Welcome has partnered with Ready Tech Go to help provide electronic devices to people seeking asylum or with refugee status [West London only].
The following organisations may be able to help you develop your IT skills:
Learn My Way – Free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online
Contact your local group to find out if there are specialist services in your local area to help you improve your IT skills.
Code Your Future is a coding school for refugees with a six month web development programme.
Techfugees organises events around the world “in an effort to generate tech solutions for and with displaced people” and help promote projects.
There are some resources available from BlueBottleBiz which are free to the CoS network but you do need to sign up for a free account (contact [email protected] if you are unable to access these):
Html and CSS
Code Your Future recommends the following for learning html and css:
From a computer/laptop:
- Join Khan Academy and complete Intro to HTML/CSS: Making webpages
- Complete the Codecademy HTML and CSS courses
From a smartphone:
- Join SoloLearn app and complete the modules on HTML and CSS Fundamentals
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT PROVIDE TECH ITEMS OURSELVES. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT CITY OF SANCTUARY FOR TECH, WE WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST.