If you’re tired of reading headlines that create division, join our mission. This challenge aims to platform the call for a new, fair asylum system; normalise a compassionate approach to refugees; and grab the attention of MPs and candidates.
The upcoming general election is a real opportunity to break the cycle of scapegoating people seeking sanctuary. Right now politicians pander to divisive ideologies as they think it will win them votes, we need to create a culture where that is unacceptable. That means we, the quiet majority, need to break the silence and speak up.
People trust regional and local media more than they do national, it’s widely read, it’s accessible, at the heart of our communities and has real power to influence decision makers.
We intend to run this challenge again during the election period, so remember to make notes on what you do and how you get on so you can repeat/adapt/improve later on in the year.
- Over the last few years there have been increasingly cruel and expensive policies directed towards refugees – they clearly don’t work, but they do ruin lives.
- Fear, hostility and division are detrimental to us all.
- When we welcome people seeking safety, when people are allowed to rebuild their lives in their communities, everyone is better for it.
- Welcome is everyone’s business – and everyone benefits. Everyone wins when compassion, kindness and fairness are the priority.
- Supporting people who need our help is the right thing to do. It should be something we’re proud of.
- Turning our backs on people in their time of need, shirking our responsibility and punishing those who desperately need protection does not represent who we are as a country.
- It is time for something better. I want to see those in charge leading with compassion, and standing up for what is right.
- I couldn’t be prouder of how our community has stepped up. Now it’s time for our government to do the same.
- It’s time for a fair, just and kind new plan for people seeking safety.