Sanctuary in Politics Course – Climate Justice
Online: Nov 28th and Dec 14th | In Person: Dec 8th and 9th | Graduation: 10 Feb 2023
SUBMIT APPLICATION ASAP by November 18
We are holding an exciting FREE course in London for people who have sought sanctuary in the UK (refugees and asylum-seekers), who have an interest in climate change. This inspiring and energising programme will develop your skills, knowledge and confidence in the areas of UK politics, climate justice and how to advocate for change.
Please note, this course is for people who live in or around London. We cannot cover travel and accommodation for people outside of London.
What is the Sanctuary in Politics Course?
This is an interactive training course that supports people to develop their skills, raise their voice, speak in public and engage with decision-makers. The training covers:
- An introduction to the UK political system and climate justice
- Campaigning and advocacy techniques;
- Public speaking, confidence, and storytelling skills;
- Working with the media
Having completed these sessions, participants will be expected to complete a final assignment to demonstrate their learning. These assignments are completed with the help of a mentor.
Introduction to course & intoduction into the UK political system
|December 8||In person||
1) History of social movements
2) What we mean by Climate Justice: historical and colonial looks at climate change
3) Campaigning: what makes an effective campaign
4) Community Organising: listening, power mapping, strategising
|December 9||In person||
1) Advocacy: how to lobby MPs an changemakers
2) Public speaking & media messaging
3) Storytelling and power of first person testimony
1) Wellbeing and looking after yourself.
2) Project planning & meetings with mentors
|February 10||In person||
Workshops will be run by leading organisations working within the climate and migration sectors.
Why should I apply?
- You will learn about the UK political system and ways of political engagement, advocacy and campaigning around sanctuary and climate justice;
- You will develop confidence in public speaking through expert training and practical exercises; you will better understand how to effectively share your story and advocate for your cause;
- You will be encouraged to become involved with City of Sanctuary and take an active role in shaping the organisation’s direction and activities;
- You will network and build connections with people and organisations from across the UK who are also passionate about the rights of people seeking sanctuary and protecting the environment.
This is a unique opportunity to develop the skills, confidence and connections to use your own lived experience to campaign for change, be that in the area of UK asylum policy or climate justice.
We encourage course participants to become City of Sanctuary Ambassadors. Our Sanctuary Ambassadors are at the heart of what City of Sanctuary is all about and their voices and experiences are central to shaping the work of City of Sanctuary.
How Do I Apply?
Fill in the application form. Click here to download the form.
Return the completed application form to Ashley at, [email protected]
Want to learn more? If you need any help filling out your application, speak to Arooba at, [email protected]