New! ESOL for refugees: a toolkit for commissioners and practitioners
Are you involved in English language learning for refugees? Maybe you’re a funder, commissioner, provider or tutor, or your organisation supports refugees?
This new toolkit from Migration Yorkshire offers useful guidance and highlights current effective practice in ESOL [English for speakers of other languages] for refugees. It’s illustrated by nearly 50 case studies from across England. There’s also an accompanying literature review which informed the toolkit.
Based on research and practice evidence, the toolkit contains:
- Examples of innovative ESOL provision.
- A discussion of some of the challenges and ways to tackle them.
- Help with understanding your local refugee population: from issues refugees can face learning English to what an ideal learning journey looks like.
- A route map through the complex ESOL landscape – funding, commissioning and delivery.
- Ways to work together locally, with a checklist for ESOL steering groups.
- Dos and don’ts for ESOL commissioners and providers.
- Links to online resources for learners, volunteers and teachers.