This event has already taken place, and is shown here for information only.
This winter 2021 we are holding an exciting online Sanctuary in Politics Course for refugees and people seeking asylum based in London. This course will support you to develop your skills, raise your voice, speak in public and engage with politicians.
The training is completely FREE and will include online sessions, independent learning and an individual project where participants put into practice what they have learnt.
Dates: 24th Nov, 1st Dec, 8th Dec, 5th Jan, and 12th Jan
Times: 10am -12:30pm
Graduation on 2nd Feb 2022
What is the Sanctuary in Politics Course?
Sanctuary in Politics is an interactive training course that supports people seeking sanctuary to develop their skills, raise their voice, speak in public and engage with politicians. The training covers:
- Public speaking, confidence, and storytelling skills;
- An introduction to the UK political system and ways of political engagement;
- Campaigning and advocacy techniques ;
- Working with the media to promote stories of Sanctuary.
After having completed the training sessions, participants will be expected to complete a final assignment to demonstrate their learning. Final assignments typically revolve around an individual project that relates to either public speaking on issues relating to seeking sanctuary in the UK or taking action to support people seeking sanctuary in the UK. The nature and result of these projects are reported to the course organisers in a report before the final graduation ceremony.
Why should I apply?
- You will learn about the UK political system and ways of political engagement, advocacy and campaigning;
- You will develop confidence in public speaking through expert training and practical exercises; you will better understand how to effectively share your story and advocate for your cause;
- You will be encouraged to become involved with City of Sanctuary and take an active role in shaping the organisation’s direction and activities;
- You will network and build connections with people from across the UK who are also passionate about the rights of people seeking sanctuary.
City of Sanctuary UK would like to build a network of Sanctuary Ambassadors who can speak out at public events and in the media on refugee and asylum issues and the Sanctuary in Politics Course intends to empower people with lived experience to do this. Therefore, we are asking participants not just to attend a one-off training, but to commit to a more long-term engagement with City of Sanctuary UK.
This is a unique opportunity to develop the skills, confidence and build the connections to proactively and effectively engage with the movement to make the UK a welcoming place for people seeking sanctuary.
How Do I Apply to Attend?
Interested in applying? Want to learn more? Please speak to Megan Greenwood at [email protected] who can help you complete an application form for the training.