This event has already taken place, and is shown here for information only.
City of Sanctuary Health and Wellbeing Stream Day of Events including discussions around sanctuary seeker access to dentists and mental health needs.
This event is organised by Yorkshire, Humber and North East Health Stream of Sanctuary.
Programe – please attend any or all of the sessions of interest:
9.45-10.45am – Regional planning session setting targets for 2023, open to anyone from Yorkshire, Humber and North East and colleagues interested in how a regional network can operate
11.00am – 1.00pm – Focus on sanctuary seekers access to dentists . Speakers include:
– Natalie Bradley is the Clinical Director for Dentaid and will talk about their mobile van offering dentistry to sanctuary seekers.
– Martha Paisi (University of Plymouth) on research and clinical work being conducted at PDSE aiming to improve oral healthcare for asylum seekers and refugees.
– Simaa Jebabli, Chair of the YHNE regional health network discussing the frustrations of not being allowed to work, her work in Doncaster as a health volunteer and practical support she can offer. Also, the need for specialist support for refugee dentists to convert their training to UK context and qualifications.
– Simon Hearnshaw, practising dentist speaking about “Oral health patient pathways for Refugee/Asylum groups – can Core20PLUS5 bridge the gap”.
1.30 – 3.30pm – Mental health focus. Speakers include:
– Zaina Aljumma talking about the work she is doing for City of Sanctuary nationally.
– Anne Burghgraef from Solace sharing plans to create health champions nationally where passionate, interested people already working in the NHS and/or mental health sector will be provided with training and support.
– Dr Paula Foscarini-Craggs (Cardiff University) on mental health and physical activity
– Introducing the Afghan mental health guide and Red Cross Voices Network
– Exploring further the development of a mental health sub-group of the national health and wellbeing stream