The session will provide an overview of the City of Sanctuary UK movement and its sanctuary awards, focusing particularly on the new College of Sanctuary stream. The session will share ideas, experiences and good practice examples on how Colleges can better support students from refugee and asylum-seeking backgrounds, and how they can apply for accreditation as a College of Sanctuary.
Who should attend
- Colleges widening participation, admissions and student support teams, senior leadership, and academic staff
- Current and prospective students with lived experience of asylum/seeking sanctuary
- ESOL practitioners at Colleges.
- Student’s Associations
- Voluntary sector staff with an interest in access to further education for refugees and people seeking asylum
- Public sector education staff
- Introduce City of Sanctuary UK, and the Colleges of Sanctuary stream. This will include an overview of the sanctuary award process and criteria for interested institutions.
- Share good examples from Colleges on how to support students in Scotland that are from a refugee or asylum-seeking backgrounds
- Highlight some of the current challenges to accessing education faced by students from a refugee and asylum-seeking backgrounds