These resources may be of use for raising awareness about refugee issues. there is so much bad press on migrants and refugees that it is more important than ever to develop our capacity to raise awareness and understanding and build compassion and commitment for welcome.
Here is a link to a very short video by the Guardian which provides a lot of information on how the asylum process works in the UK in a powerful way.
There are some downloadable resources at the bottom of this page.
Terms and definitions
The Refugee Project
– UNHCR interactive map of refugee migrations around the world in each year since 1975
- From the Red Cross
- Refugee Voices from Refugee Action
- BBC Short Animated Stories from Children Seeking Refuge
- Freedom from Torture Survivors Guide to Poverty – Audio Stories
Short films raising awareness
See the City of Sanctuary Film Archive -Including Wales Nation of Sanctuary, our 9 minute original film and our shorter 3.30 minute film on City of Sanctuary – all great introductions to an awareness event.
UNHCR – 7 short films to help people imagine what life is like for a refugee
Risky Things – Seeking Asylum (3.32 minute poem) and Blue Moment (45 minutes drama and free educational resource )
A new visualization shows the flow of refugees around the world from 2000 to 2015, and makes the lesser-known story in Africa–and in places like Sri Lanka in 2006 or Colombia in 2007–as obvious as what has been happening more recently in Syria.
Refugee Awareness Talks are also available from Social Enterprise: Nola Ellen Training
Here are some PowerPoint slides from different groups around the country which are used for Awareness Raising Talks. You can use these and the Brief Overview of City of Sanctuary to adapt for your own talks or to give you ideas for what can be covered. Please send any of your slides for sharing with others to [email protected] for uploading to this page. They do not have to be perfect – but the more we share with each other the better our slides will get. You can also find an excellent mythbuster leaflet from North East CoS Groups (Newcastle, Sunderland and the Tees Valley) funded by three PCCs (Cleveland, Durham and Northumbria). This folds down to credit card size – an idea you may wish to replicate with your own PCC. Contact us if you want to see a printed copy of this or one of the newly designed ones.
- The Refugee Crisis 2015
- Display materials from Leicester CoS with information from The Refugee Council
- Slides to support a one hour talk from Leicester CoS
- Myths and Facts about Asylum Seekers
- The Refugee Experience
- Advice on talking to people about asylum seekers who don’t already agree with you!
- North East CoS Groups and PCC Mythbuster 2013
- Tees Valley and Newcastle CoS Mythbuster 2017
- NE Mythbuster 2017
- British Future: How to talk about Immigration