We are proud to be part of the National Refugee Week Coalition, and most of our groups are involved in hosting or supporting a wide range of events, testimony to the capacity our city and town groups have for creativity and celebration. This year is even more special because of the 60th birthday of the UN Refugee Convention https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/protect
Here is a sample of the amazing range of plans our groups have come up with.
• The celebrations will begin with the refugees joining the Bradford community at the 2011 Mela which will be held on 12th June, where different performances will be held, such as Music Dance, Drumming, etc from members of the local refugees and asylum seekers communities
• Launch Event which will be on 20th June, 2011 at Kala Sangam, 1 Forster Square, Bradford BD1 4TY, starting from 10am to 2pm. The Lord Mayor is the guest of Honour on this day, there will be personal testimonies from different people who have come to seek sanctuary in Bradford and there will be a lot of information on display, fantastic performances by the refugees (Music and dance), drama by young children and many more.
• The BEACON Walk for Justice on Wednesday, 22 June. This walk is aimed at drawing attention to asylum seekers having to walk from Bradford to Leeds to register. The walk will start at 10am from Centenary Square, Bradford to Waterside House , Leeds. Approx. 10 miles. Many walkers will be sponsored.
• The Finale Celebration which will be on 24th June at Urban Gardens starting from 12noon to 2pm. People will enjoy food made by different countries in the world plus music and dance from different countries, cultures and religion.
• Football Tournament on 25th June, 2011 where both men and women’s teams are going to participate and there will also be a variety of games at Goals Sports Academy (Junior teams) and Manningham Sports Stadium (adults teams) from 10am to 4pm.
• On the same day, 25th June, 2011, a BIASAN Gig has been organised at Manningham Mills Community Centre starting from 07.30pm till 11pm. Fantastic live bands and many more entertaining activities have been planned. Affordable entrance tickets to the event will soon be on sale, stay alert for our past event attracted a lot of people. So don’t miss your chance this time.
• On the final day, 26th June, 2011, Solamatik, HEM & Congo Awareness Group (CRC & Bradford Rape Crisis) has organised a refugee week support event which has been titled “Sanctuary Sunday
24 June 2011 8pm onwards Unity Party, Taylor Johns House, Canal Basin Coventry,
An evening of musical entertainment (and maybe poetry) with Kifaru, Rythmns of Refuge, Tigernaut, Christina Connolly, Rachel West and DJ Chameleon £3/ £4
25 June 2011 10.30 – 3.30 Global Music “Scratch” Choir, The Herbert Art Gallery, Jordan Well, Coventry
Come and sing songs from around the world with Chris Hoskins and perform them in the newly refurbished Covered Court. No experience neccessary. Free
25 June 2011 2pm The Herbert Art Gallery, Jordan Well, Coventry
Join storyteller Kusumika Chatterjee for the spellbinding tale of a young woman’s journey to England. Suitable for 11 years upwards. Free
Monday 13th June to Sunday 26th June
Welcome! At Wakefield Cathedral.
An exhibition of t-shirts designed by students from the Cathedral school welcoming asylum seekers to Wakefield.
Friday 17th June / 7.00 – 10.00pm
One World Music Night at Wakefield
Cathedral Party! Live music from around the globe with dancing, drinks and nibbles. Special guest artists include award winning Siyaya from
Zimbabwe and KORAKING JALI from the Gambia.
For more information please contact:
Ali Bullivent on 01924 434484 or email
Monday 20th June / 12.30 – 3.30pm
Refugee Week Celebrations at Wakefield
Town Hall. Help us celebrate Refugee Week in style with live music, a performance from the legendary Ice & Fire, awe-inspiring storytelling and networking. Places are limited and must be booked by calling RASA on 01924 368855 or
email [email protected]
Wednesday 22nd June / 10.30am – 12.30pm
Sessions with asylum seekers & refugees at Wakefield Cathedral. (women only event )
Open to all asylum seekers and refugees within the Wakefield district. Please come along for games, chat and lots of fun. For more information
please contact Sara Moncrieff on 07791 085382
or email [email protected]
Thursday 23rd June / 10.00am – 3.00pm
Picnic in the Park at Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
Friday 24th June / 2.00 – 3.30pm
Maintaining Integration with Asylum Seekers
& Refugees. This event will focus on howin the current economic climate of cuts and
redundancies we can ensure integration and cohesion amongst society at large.
Places are free but must be booked in advance
through calling 01924 368855 or email
Friday 24th June / 7.00 – 9.00pm
Ice & Fire perform Asylum Monologues at
Pontefract Town Hall. Asylum Monologues is a first-hand account of the UK’s asylum system in the words of people who have experienced it.
Saturday 25th June / 11.30am – 3.00pm
Street stalls outside Wakefield Cathedral.
We have a Sanctuary Supper with food, games and conversation on June 11th 6-9pm at Huddersfield Quaker Meeting and Peace, Faith and Sanctuary Picnic on Sunday July 10th Also at Huddersfield Quaker Meeting 12.30 to 2.30, bring food to share.
‘Pledgereee’ for supporting organisations, 22nd June
‘One Love One Leeds’ all day event at Mariner’s Centre Leeds 30th May 2011
Numerous events including Refugee World Cup and performance of Fiddler on the Roof going on between 18th and 26th June.
A big event with Ice and Fire plus a workshop on The Refugee Experience – 22nd June.
Sat 18th June, 11am to 4pm – Leicester City of Sanctuary Summer Fair at the Quaker Meeting House, Queens Road, a fun-day of refreshments, stalls, activities and information to raise funds to support our work!
22nd June – an official launch to celebrate the city attaining City of Sanctuary status
Celebrating Sanctuary on 25th June – City of Sanctuary with Community Bizness
Re-launch public event on 15th June